I’m going to try to be as objective as possible but to be honest I am very disappointed on this desk. I have put down some pros and cons.
+ Solid build
+ A lot of space (it’s a BIG desk)
+ Nice solution with the racks, very dynamic
+ The electronic height adjustment works really well
+ The disco lights adds some ‘coolness’ to the desk. :)
+ Nice color (black)
+ I had quite a lot of problems with damaged parts on the desk (bumps and scratches) and I got the wrong color of the rack units. That was very frustrating but StudioDesk handled it really well. A big thank you for that.
- From a price point of view the desk is not worth it. It’s very overpriced compared to the quality
- Don’t choose the black desk, I have never experienced a desk that gets dusty so fast. It’s like a dust magnet, might be able to use it as my vacuum cleaner going forward instead of a desk
- The desk gets scratches very easy. I have never had a desk that gets scratches so easy. That is not good at all. I am VERY gentle with my stuff but I already have a lot of scratches on the desk. I got a marker pen from StudioDesk to fix the scratches but it didn’t work that well (but I appreciate all the help I've got from StudioDesk of course)
To sum it up. My recommendation is to NOT buy this desk. It’s not worth it. I regret so much that I bought this desk. I thought that I bought a premium desk but that’s not the case at all
Marcus, thank you for your PROS and CONS. Our specialty is design and producing lacquered premium furniture. Always trying to reply the way people understand the matter better. We would like to tell you something you didn't know about lacquered furniture.
- Price point. Your desk is 5 and a half m2 of lacquered wood which is equivalent to a surface of a small car body. Unlike metal, Lacquering of wood requires a lot of manual job to bring the surface to a smooth state and at least 4 layers of different coats unlike particle board commonly used in commercial furniture which is laminated with PVC plastic laminate. PVC laminating is simply coating a raw wood surface with laminate by gluing it and pressing it under 6 tons pressure. Such boards can be made 100 per hour using only machines. One desk like yours requires a lot of care and manual work invested. Why we are not laminating our furniture as commercial manufacturers do? There is a negative side to it. Laminating is limited in many different ways. Using laminates we would not able to do any special designs, nice and smooth edges shapes, etc. Check your desk front edge, your rack edges design for example. This is the reason why StudioDesk finish is lacquer, the same one used in the Piano industry. Lacquer gives the desk a premium look and feel.
- Dust is everywhere around us, and yes it is more visible on dark surfaces.
- About scratches. The Wood is soft, lacquer is hard, and 'backed' under UV light to give lacquer an extra hardness. Lacquer though does require more attention than a Plastic lamination but it is not as delicate as it seems. Dust falling to furniture is nothing but microparticles and acts as sandpaper. Removing dust with a slight dump microfibre cloth and bring it to dry with a dry microfiber cloth will do the thing. Throwing sharp things like keys on the desk will scratch the surface. Didn't say you did it, just giving an example. The same applies to acoustic piano instruments or lacquered doors of the kitchen. Premium things have to be treated with care. We are truly sorry that our premium finished furniture didn't meet your expectations as what you've got is one of the best-lacquered finishes available on the market on which we are very proud.
The build quality - the attention to detail - the easy youtube instructions on how to assemble - it's all great. But all of this quality comes at a price with the weight of these things; man, they're heavy! But they have to be like that. I love this desk!
I needed a desk for working at home remotely, and as I’m a musician on top of being a free-lance developer, I was looking for a desk that is adjustable in height and that can provide an area to place an 88 keys keyboard. The quality of this desk is really great.
Just be careful about the size before buying because it is very big.
ORBIT Platform All black
ORBIT Platform All black